Wat Chet Yot - Jim Wageman

Wat Chet Yot, in Chiang Mai, was established in 1455 by Lanna King Tilokarat, who ordered the construction of a "great monastery" on the site in 1476. The following year, the temple was host to the Eighth World Buddhist Council, celebrating the 2000th anniversary of the birth of the Buddha. The temple's principal attraction is its unusual assembly hall/chedi, apparently loosely modeled after the famous Mahabodhi Temple at Bodh Gaya, India. Its rectangular base is topped by seven spires (chet yot ) or stupas, while its exterior walls exhibit the remains of 70 beautifully carved stucco thewada, benevolent guardian spirits.