Kinkaku-ji, Temple of the Golden Pavilion, is a Zen Buddhist temple also known more formally as Rokuon-ji, Deer Garden Temple. Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, who would develop the complex, purchased the site and its existing villa in 1397. Upon the shogun's death, Kinkaku-ji became a Zen temple, following his wishes. All of the original temple buildings but the Golden Pavilion itself were destroyed in the Onin war during the late 15th century. In 1950 the pavilion was burned down by a mentally disturbed novice monk. The present pavilion, a copy of the original, dates from 1955.